Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
A CONSORTIUM of Union Pacific and two Mexican firms is likely to be sole bidder for a 50-year concession to manage and operate Mexico’s 6400 km Pacifico-Norte Railway. Jorge Silberstein, who is in charge of the FNM privatisation, said last month that no other tenders were expected by the June 19 deadline for technical and financial proposals. ’The group is very solid, very strong, and very professional,’ he noted.Two other firms, Tribasa SA (with RailTex and ITISA of Mexico) and mining company Grupo Mexico SA, have withdrawn from the bidding. Instead Grupo Mexico has joined with UP and construction firm Empresas Ingenieros Civiles Asociados SA. UP officials said the company would take a 10% to 15% stake in the venture. UP earns more than $700m in annual revenue from shipments between the US and Mexico and dominates the market. Last year it was outbid by Kansas City Southern for control of Mexico’s Noreste railway (RG 1.97 p7).The winner of the Pacifico-Norte will also be offered an option to buy the concession for the Chihuahua – Pacific Railway at a price to be set by the government. Following the PN sale, the government plans to auction the concession for the third of the FNM regional operations, the Sureste.The government has appointed IXE Banco SA as financial agent for the outright sale of various FNM branches as short lines. Registrations of interest for the first three were due by May 7, and the sales are expected to proceed in parallel. They are the isolated 71 km Ferrocarril Tejuana – Tecate in the far northwest, in which Railtex has expressed interest, the 320 km Nacozaria short line in Sonora, and a 973 km route linking the states of Coahuila, Durango, Chihuahua and Zatecas. o
Contact was lost with the Trigana Air ATR 42 turboprop just before 15:00 local time (06:00 GMT) after take-off from Sentani airport in the regional capital Jayapura. The plane was flying to the town of Oksibil in the south of the region. A search for the missing plane was suspended at dusk and will continue on Monday morning, rescuers said. It is carrying 44 adult passengers, five children and infants, and five crew.Air transport is commonly used in Papua, Indonesia’s easternmost province, where land travel is often impossible. It was not immediately clear if search efforts would continue into the night in the densely forested mountainous region where the aircraft was traveling. According to the Aviation Safety Network, an online database, the ATR 42-300 had its first flight 27 years ago. ATR is a joint venture between Airbus (AIR.PA) and Alenia Aermacchi, a subsidiary of Italian aerospace firm Finmeccanica (SIFI.MI) .Trigana has been on the EU blacklist of banned carriers since 2007. Airlines on the list are barred from operating in European airspace due to either concerns about its safety standards, or concerns about the regulatory environment in its country of registration. An Indonesian domestic flight with 54 people on board lost contact with air traffic control in Papua province Sunday afternoon, the nation’s search and rescue agency said on Twitter.
BACOLOD City – The court recommended nobail bond for the temporary liberty of a rape suspect arrested in BarangayPinapugasan, Escalante City, Negros Occidental. The suspect was detained in thecustodial facility of the Escalante City police station./PN Police officers served the warrantissued by Judge Ma. Rita Sarabia of the Regional Trial Court Branch 58 in SanCarlos City dated May 12, 2009. The 33-year-old Felix Pabalate wascaught on the strength of an arrest warrant around 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 22, apolice report showed.
They are among the seven positive cases in Negros Occidental.Three OFWS who arrived in this province on April 28 via the Malasakit Voyage of 2GO Group’s M/V St. Leo the Great also tested positive for COVID-19.(With a report from PNA/PN) Patient No. 3 is a 38-year-old man who arrived in the country after travelling from the Netherlands. He is a resident of Silay City. On the other hand, Patient No. 4 is a 50-year-old man from Candoni town. He travelled from Ireland and arrived in the Philippines on March 17.Both of them are still quarantined at the Provincial Healing Center, a patient care center managed by the provincial government in E.B. Magalona town. Thirty-five Negrense overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) arrive at the Barcelona port in Escalante City, Negros Occidental from Tabuelan, Cebu last month through a vessel ride. Two of the 35 OFWs tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019. PIO NEGROS BACOLOD City – The provincial government of Negros Occidental is being cautious in accepting its overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are still stranded in Cebu.Cebu has the highest confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases outside of Metro Manila.“If you are stranded in Cebu, please understand. Cebu City is No. 2 as far as (number of) cases is concerned. That’s why we’re extra careful of Negrenses coming from (there),” Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson said in a press conference at the Capitol Social Hall here on May 12.“We’re about to receive OFWs from Cebu. But if they don’t have test results to show they are free from COVID-19, we are extra careful,” the governor added.According to Lacson, even the local government units in this province are not ready to accept their respective residents who will go home after finishing quarantine in designated COVID-19 centers.Some of the OFWS who returned in this province have been tested positive for COVID-19.Two overseas workers who arrived in Escalante City from Tabuelan, Cebu on April 14 were listed as this province’s third and fourth confirmed virus cases.
Nathan Ballard battled defending champion Dylan Nelson, then followed the top line around Boone Speedway to win his career-first IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s Hobby Stock title. Ballard led start to finish in the Sunday afternoon 30-lapper. (Photo by Tom Macht, www.photofinishphotos.com) Eleven drivers made their first appearances in the Big Dance with Mike Smith’s fifth place showing leading the way. Stanton started his career 11th main event while Jason Kohl qualified for the ninth time, Jesse Vanlaningham for the seventh and Brandon Nielsen for the sixth. Ware and Sal Hernandez were also five-time qualifiers. Feature results – 1. Nathan Ballard, Marengo; 2. Dylan Nelson, Adel; 3. Jeff Ware, Columbus, Neb.; 4. Jason Wilkinson, Neligh, Neb.; 5. Mike Smith, Lake City; 6. Kaden Reynolds, Cedar Rapids; 7. Dawson Deboer, Little Rock; 8. Eric Stanton, Carlisle; 9. Brandon Cox, Norwalk; 10. Wayne Gifford, Boone; 11. Jake Benischek, Durant; 12. Jesse Vanlaningham, Beatrice, Neb.; 13. Malik Sampson, Worthington, Minn.; 14. Matt Olson, West Fargo, N.D.; 15. Chuck Madden Jr., Avoca; 16. Darin Johnson, Dickens; 17. Shaun Wirtz, Boone; 18. Zach Hemmingsen, Marne; 19. Parker Larson, Granada, Minn.; 20. Carter Koop, Rockwell; 21. Braden Richards, Madrid; 22. Jason Kohl, Missouri Valley; 23. Keeran Sampson, Worthington, Minn.; 24. Josh Barnhart, Colby, Kan.; 25. Cody Nielsen, Spencer; 26. Sal Hernandez, Columbus, Neb.; 27. Eric Knutson, Slater; 28. Brandon Nielsen, Spencer; 29. Brett Vanous, Quasqueton; 30. Jacob Floyd, Cedar Rapids. A five-time main event qualifier, Ballard didn’t run the Wild Rose Casino Prelude and was making his first start of the season at Boone. He came to Iowa’s Action Track well prepared for the week after having secured a career fourth title at Benton County Speedway. Eric Stanton moved up 20 positions start to finish, while Dawson Deboer was a plus 18, Matt Olson plus 13 and Shaun Wirtz plus a dozen. Ballard was chased early by defending champion Dylan Nelson. The green flag stayed out the last 24 of 30 laps and Ballard eased away from all challengers, leaving Nelson, two-time champ Jason Wilkinson and Jeff Ware to fight for second behind him “I wanted to get to the top right away. I ran a higher line that most of the rest of the cars,” said Ballard. “It was definitely the fastest way around the track.” “It’s kind of hard to believe. To win an ‘A’ main and get into the dance, you have to race against so many good drivers,” he said, pointing out that the competition got even better in the main event. “We had a good car all week,” said Ballard, who won the Tuesday qualifier to start at the front of the middle row. “This was a big win for our program. There are a lot of ups and downs in racing, sometimes hardships. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.” The Super Nationals crown was Ballard’s career first and came after a season that had seen him make just 18 weekly starts. BOONE, Iowa (Sept. 13) – Nathan Ballard was impressed by the competition when he won his qualifying feature to make the Hobby Stock main event at the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s. The three ran in that order before Ware eked ahead for third on the last lap. Then he impressed everyone at Boone Speedway by leading all 30 laps of Sunday’s $2,000 to win main event.
Wigan’s on-loan winger Ryo Miyaichi is looking to make his first-team return in the Barclays Premier League clash at Reading a week on Saturday after three months out with an ankle injury. Press Association He added: “I had a groin injury at first when I was with the national team last year. “That injury put me out for a few months and then I came back in the game against Liverpool at Anfield and after that game I picked up an ankle injury which has made things frustrating. “I trained after that game and it made my ankle worse but I can learn many things from this injury.” With 12 matches to go, Wigan are second-bottom of the Premier League, two points behind 18th-placed Reading and three adrift of 17th-placed Aston Villa. Miyaichi is eager to boost the Latics’ survival bid, adding: “It is important now for us to win as many games as possible because we are desperate to stay in the Premier League. “I want to be able to help the team in achieving safety in the Premier League and it will be great to show the supporters what I can do once I am back.” Japan international Miyaichi, who joined on a season-long loan from Arsenal last summer, last played for the Latics in their 3-0 away defeat to Liverpool on November 17 – a game in which he was making his comeback from a groin complaint. The 20-year-old told wiganlatics.co.uk: “It will be a big relief to get back because it has been quite a tough time to be sat on the sidelines.”
The 26-year-old defender was dismissed after an ugly altercation with striker Kevin Doyle, who was left with blood pouring down his face, four minutes before the break at PPL Park in Philadelphia, and now faces an anxious wait to discover his fate with Costa Rica due to launch their campaign against Uruguay on June 14. It proved to be an eventful evening as Kevin Doyle, making his first start under Martin O’Neill, handed Ireland an early lead with his 13th international goal before Gonzalez lost his head, only for Celso Borges to level from the penalty spot after the break. Giancarlo Gonzalez’s World Cup dream could be over after he was sent off in Costa Rica’s 1-1 friendly draw with the Republic of Ireland. Republic captain Robbie Keane could have restored his side’s lead almost immediately, but saw his spot-kick saved by substitute goalkeeper Patrick Pemberton. O’Neill promised to use the depth of his squad, and was as good as his word as he made nine changes to the side which drew 0-0 with Italy at Craven Cottage on Saturday evening. One of those moves was to reintroduce Keane after a four-game absence, but there was also a senior debut for Everton defender Shane Duffy a little more than four years after he almost died on the training pitch after lacerating his liver in a freak accident. It was the more established Doyle who proved the central character in more ways than one. Costa Rica started brightly with talisman Bryan Ruiz and Joel Campbell particularly lively. Ireland might have got off to an ideal start when Keane ran on to Doyle’s pass and shot instantly from 40 yards, almost catching goalkeeper Keylor Navas flat-footed. Costa Rica played the more progressive football early on and it took a brave block by midfielder Paul Green to repel Jose Miguel Cubero’s well-struck shot after he had been set up by a clever back-heeled pass from Ruiz. However, they were having trouble dealing with Doyle’s physicality, and Oscar Duarte had to clear the striker’s 17th-minute cross after he had muscled his way past defender Michael Umana. Press Association But the danger was far from over and when Marc Wilson played the ball back into the penalty area, Doyle powered a header from 17 yards beyond a despairing dive from Navas. Ireland grew in confidence in the aftermath of the goal as Costa Rica lost their composure, although goalkeeper David Forde was relieved to see Borges shoot over after he had flapped at Heiner Mora’s cross. But Gonzalez, who had been fighting a running battle with Doyle throughout, allowed his frustration to get the better of him when he lashed out at the frontman, leaving him bleeding from a head wound. Referee Raul Castro produced a yellow and then a red card amid a melee as players from both sides reacted angrily, but the defender had little choice but to head for the dressing room as Doyle was patched up on the pitch. Costa Rica might have levelled in first-half injury time when Duarte got his head to Borges’ free-kick beyond the far post, but he could not hit the target. Ireland had a chance to increase their advantage within five minutes of the restart when Keane played midfielder Stephen Quinn into space on the left side of the penalty area, but he scuffed his cross and it was intercepted before Doyle could pounce. Costa Rica responded with striker Marco Urena blazing high and wide after appearing to get away with a tug on Richard Keogh’s shirt, and then being denied by the same defender’s sliding block. Campbell took up the challenge with 53 minutes gone, cutting inside makeshift left-back James McClean – he had replaced the injured Wilson before the break – and testing Forde at his near post. Central defenders Keogh and Duffy found themselves under intense pressure as Campbell went through his full repertoire, and the Republic finally succumbed with 64 minutes gone. Urena ran on to Campbell’s reverse pass and went down under Forde’s challenge, prompting referee Castro to point to the spot, and Borges duly obliged to level. However, Ireland could have restored their lead within two minutes when the official awarded a second spot-kick, this time at the other end, after ruling that Quinn had been felled by Mora. Keane stepped up ready to claim his 63rd goal for Ireland, but saw Pemberton dive to his right to palm the ball away. As play switched rapidly from end to end, Campbell forced a diving save from Forde, but Pemberton had to pull off fine saves to deny substitutes Shane Long and Simon Cox as time ran down.
Townsend’s side are just a point behind the table-topping Irish province, but the head coach knows they will have to be on top form to win. He said: “After our European double header with Toulouse, our focus now returns to the Guinness Pro12 and our clash with the league leaders. “Munster are incredibly tough opponents and we know we face another huge challenge at Scotstoun tomorrow. “With both teams coming off the back of losses in Europe, we will see two highly motivated sides and, with Munster sitting one point above us in the Pro12, it is shaping up to be a cracking match. Once again we’re expecting a large crowd to get behind the team.” Glasgow were beaten narrowly 12-9 at home by the French giants last weekend, but Townsend has made 10 changes to that side as looks for a reaction. Peter Murchie replaces Stuart Hogg at full-back, while Sean Lamont comes in for Sean Maitland on the right wing and the club’s record try scorer DTH van de Merwe replaces Tommy Seymour on the opposite side. Richie Vernon continues at outside centre, with Peter Horne coming in for the injured Alex Dunbar. Finn Russell keeps his place at stand-off, while Niko Matawalu comes in for Henry Pyrgos at scrum-half. Warriors lost home and away to Toulouse as their European Champions Cup ambitions suffered a major dent. But they must now return their focus to maintaining their place in the Guinness Pro12 play-off places ahead of Munster’s visit to Scotstoun. Glasgow head coach Gregor Townsend knows his side will not have it easy as they look to respond to back-to-back defeats when they take on Munster on Saturday. Press Association It’s an all-new front row with Gordon Reid, Fraser Brown and Euan Murray replacing Ryan Grant, Pat MacArthur and Jon Welsh. Leone Nakarawa replaces Tim Swinson in the second row, with Jonny Gray continuing in the engine room. In the back-row Rob Harley moves to the blindside, Tyrone Holmes comes in at openside and Josh Strauss once again captains the side at number eight.
Press Association Bradford coach James Lowes, who coached Mendeika during his time in charge of Warrington, said: “James is a very talented, up-and-coming player and we are pleased to have secured his services. “Injuries have set him back a little over the past couple of years but he has a long career ahead and he is certainly looking to make a name for himself here.” Bradford have signed Ireland international James Mendeika from Championship rivals Featherstone. The 23-year-old former Warrington and London Broncos utility back, who appeared in all of Ireland’s group games against Australia, Fiji and England in the 2013 World Cup, has joined the Bulls with immediate effect on a deal that takes him through to the end of the 2017 season. “It is great to be back within a full-time environment and I am looking forward to repaying the faith the club has shown in me,” said Mendeika.