ogpfph

Lampard: I’m committed to New York

first_imgFrank Lampard has insisted he remains fully committed to New York City and said he only ever joined Manchester City as a way of staying fit ahead of the Major League Soccer season. Press Association Although City have been cleared of breaking any rules in the deal, their attempts to clarify the situation on Friday brought fresh confusion as they initially said Lampard’s deal with the club ran until December 31 – which would be in contravention of Premier League rules. That came only 24 hours after the club had been cleared by the league of breaking regulations. The PR damage has been extensive on both sides of the Atlantic, most keenly felt in New York where their new MLS franchise must mend fences with supporters before a ball has been kicked in competitive action. The scale of the problem in the United States was clear when the New York Post described Lampard’s signing as a “fraud” in a headline. But Lampard, in a lengthy interview with the Times, insisted his commitment to New York came first. Describing the talks he had with Ferran Soriano, chief executive of both City and New York, after leaving Chelsea, Lampard said: “It was 100 per cent New York. I had sat down with Ferran and it was all about New York. There was no mention of Man City. If they had wanted to speak to me on behalf of Man City, with New York in the pipeline beyond that, they could have done that, because I was a free agent, but that was never the question at all.” Lampard said City did not enter the equation until he began to consider ways to keep fit during the long wait for New York’s season to start, and insisted there was no question over his commitment to New York going forward. “I have signed for New York,” he said. “The original intention was for that to start on January 1. I signed a Man City agreement in the interim (in August). Now that has obviously changed. I have extended my period here and will join New York later.” When New York City originally announced the deal on their website in July, they said Lampard’s contract began on August 1, and City initially described his arrival in Manchester as a loan. Both those announcements were described as “mistakes” by the City Football Group – parent company to both clubs – on Friday, but their ‘clarification’ also suggested Lampard had only agreed a short-term deal with Manchester City until December 31. That would be in contravention of Premier League rules which state all contracts must run to the end of the season unless exceptional circumstances apply. On Thursday, the Premier League had said it was satisfied no rules had been broken because Lampard’s deal was until the end of the season. It was only the latest in a series of developments in the saga which have sown mistrust in the deal. “That is what has frustrated me, that people were sort of saying ‘You knew what you were doing’,” Lampard added. “I never would have done that. If I had wanted to come to Man City, then I would stand up and come to Man City. That wouldn’t have been a problem. “And in terms of Man City being ‘sneaky’, they could have signed me on a free anyway if that’s what they wanted to do. People mention Financial Fair Play but what difference would that have made? No difference. It would have been a slippery move, a dodgy move, for nothing. The fact is I signed for New York, then I signed for Man City in the interim and now it has been extended.” City manager Manuel Pellegrini sought to draw a line under the affair on Friday, saying: “I think it’s an issue which is finished. “Frank now is here. I know that there a lot of different opinions about Frank, about that. I respect all of them, but the decision is taken already and Frank will stay here until the end of the season.” Manchester City have faced a storm of criticism for their handling of Lampard’s situation since it was confirmed on New Year’s Eve that the 36-year-old will remain with the Barclays Premier League champions until the end of the season, delaying his debut for sister club New York until midway through their inaugural MLS campaign. There has been much confusion over Lampard’s contractual situation, with differing accounts as to when he signed for which club and for how long. last_img read more

Violent Incidents in Miami Include Children, Fatal Shooting of Suspect

first_imgThe weekend has proven to be unusually violent in some Miami-Dade County neighborhoods.On Friday night, a confrontation with a fleeing motorist resulted in a fatal shooting along SW 153 Ct.Police say they tried to stop the suspect’s car on SW 162 Ave., but he drove off and eventually crashed at a nearby construction site.According to the police report, officers fired shots during a confrontation with the suspect, who was killed.He has not been identified. Another man who was wounded in the initial shooting is still recovering in the hospital.Meanwhile, four people, including two young children, found themselves in the line of fire during a drive-by shooting in a NW Miami-Dade on Saturday night.A large police presence remained on scene Sunday morning, near the intersection of NW 27th Ave. and 51st St.The incident resulted in immediate reaction from local law enforcement and education leaders.Alfredo Ramirez III, director of the Miami-Dade Police Department, tweeted:Anyone with information is urged to call @CrimeStopper305 at 305-471-TIPS. @MiamiDadePD will be contributing to increase the reward by $5000 for information that results in an arrest or filing of criminal charges.— Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III (@MDPD_Director) July 26, 2020 He added that the incident took place during a party, but officers have not confirmed that information.Authorities are still in the early stages of the investigation, and have not released any information on a suspect or a vehicle description.Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS. Superintendent of Schools Alberto Carvalho tweeted:Heartbroken to learn that yet again, a precious child was shot during a drive-by incident tonight. I am with pleading with the community…if you saw something, PLEASE say something. We must not remain silent when the lives of our children are at stake. #EnoughisEnough— Alberto M. Carvalho (@MiamiSup) July 26, 2020last_img read more

Irish boxer in must-win bout

first_imgMichael O’Reilly is looking to become the latest Irish boxer to seal a place at the Rio Olympics today.He’s set to fight in the Middleweight quarter-finals at this week’s Olympic qualifying tournament in Baku.O’Reilly only needs to win today’s fight to secure progress to Rio, but he’s going-up against the local Azerbaijani fighter in today’s bout.last_img

Ghana move 4 places up to 47th in November FIFA Rankings

first_imgGhana’s Black Stars moved four places up to 47th in the latest Coca-Cola FIFA Rankings released on Thursday.Kwesi Appiah’s team, bounced back from their disappointing Round 16 exit at the AFCON back in July, with back to back victories in their opening two games of the AFCON 2021 qualifiers, against South Africa and São Tomé.The Black Stars also moved up one place to 6th place ranking in Africa, behind Senegal, Tunisia, Algeria, Nigeria and Morocco, who occupy the first five places. Belgium remain top of the overall rankings with the top 10 remaining unchanged. However there was some movement, with Croatia (6th) and Portugal (7th) trading places.last_img read more

Mason City council approves development agreement for downtown hotel

first_imgWatch the council meeting in full below MASON CITY — The City Council in Mason City Tuesday night unanimously approved a development agreement with Gatehouse Mason City LLC for a $24 million hotel and convention center that would fulfill the private investment portion of the River City Renaissance project as part of the Iowa Reinvestment Act.The agreement commits Gatehouse to construct a select-service hotel to be located on the city-owned parking lot on the south side of Southbridge Mall. Gatehouse proposes to construct a 106-room hotel that will also include a ballroom-style convention center that will accommodate up to 700 people. Gatehouse will receive a “hotel grant” from the city totaling $8.7 million, with the city paying $1 million for pre-construction costs, $600,000 to be used by Gatehouse to fund convention center improvements to Music Man Square, with the remainder being paid out as Gatehouse submits construction costs.David Rachie of Gatehouse Capital says having the main convention center as part of the hotel was one of the keys in moving the project forward. “What is changed is we are now doing the convention center, that’s going to be on the south parking lot of Southbridge Mall. The convention center will be on the first floor. There will be a skywalk over to Music Man Square where we will have additional ballroom space over there. We will have a tower above that with the hotel rooms.”Rachie says having the main convention center space in the hotel is a better concept that what was originally proposed.  “Part of this obviously is the city normally would pay for a city convention center and then continue to pay for the operations for it. I think what was masterfully done by city staff is to really kind of relinquish that, what is a yearly cost to the city, by offering basically the grant which pays for just the convention center, and at that point the rebate is to cover some of the cost in terms of keeping up an $8.7 million-dollar facility to the standards of a Hyatt or a Courtyard.”Councilman John Lee says while the mall was potentially a good concept 30 years ago, the economy is ever changing, and now is the time to be proactive in reinvesting in the mall area.  “All malls live about 20-25 years, and to remind everybody, the economy isn’t evolving monster daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, by decades, and we just try to work things out. You’re right, this is a 20-year project. We don’t know what’s going to be like in 20-30 years here, but hopefully for the next 20 years this is what helps Mason City say strong, competitive, and that’s what we’re doing here. No one builds out a hundred years anymore. It’s 20 year increments, and I think this is something that can anchor this town for 20 years, and then we’ll worry about it next time.”Councilman Paul Adams says there have already been benefits seen from the entire project.  “The whole project has been referred to as a renaissance and you’re already seeing it in the mall. We’ve seen news about River City Mini Golf being kicked off by a young entrepreneur here in town,17-18 years old, that’s taking a chance out there to build something. There’s been word that there are other contracts being negotiated or already in place for future businesses to come in the mall. Really the intent of this project all along was revitalize and reshape and re-purpose our mall, and we’re already seeing that, and we only have one out of the five portions of the project even started. As we go further and further into this, I think you’re going to see more of that. I think you’re going to see a revitalized mall, really a downtown that’s going to live up to its full potential.”The agreement does not include a property tax rebate. All incremental property taxes will go into the Tax Increment Finance fund and used to retire bonds for the project. In addition, four percent of the sales taxes generated by the hotel and convention center, as well as five percent of the state hotel excise tax, will be returned to the city through the Downtown Reinvestment District approved by the state. Those rebates will be made to the city for the 20-year life of Mason City’s reinvestment district. See the agreement starting on page 350 of the council packetlast_img read more

This Madrid is everyone’s business

first_imgRodrygo6 Jovicone Casemiro4 Karim, whom the muses have abandoned since Valencia, remains the same top white scorer. It corresponds to 16 of the goals of this 2019-20, and who comes closest to him is Rodrygo, with 6. In the tail of the table are those that remain to be released, only four: Militao, Marcelo, Mendy and the injured Asensio, That is not but it is expected. DEL GOLES DEL MADRID 2019-20 * PLAYERGOALS * Unionists’ goal is not counted Lucas Vázquezone Bouquets5 Fede Valverdetwo Benzema16 Varane3 Carvajalone Kroos4center_img Nachoone 6 Viniciustwo Jamesone Modric5 Madrid has put in the lane the solidarity of its players, who have raised their shoulders to shield themselves in defense and to do more damage in attack. With Nacho, the exemplary youth player, there are already 18 Zidane boys who have celebrated at least one goal this season. It is the data that draws the leader in the League and qualified for eighth in the Champions League and in the Cup as A coral team. Hazardone Brahimone Bale3 Four days after Brahim was the last to open his account, before Unionistas, Nacho succeeded him in Zorilla to avoid a bad drink to Madrid and increase to 18 the Madrid scorers. In total (14 in Barça, 15 in Seville and 11 in Getafe), two lines have more prominence, the defense and the core. They were not presupposed such contribution, but theirs are 27 of 59 goals this season, almost 46%.The missing ones: Militao, Marcelo, Mendy and AsensioIn Liga is where this irruption of defenses and midfielders acquires greater relevance. He doesn’t score in the tournament, despite the brand-new solo leadership, a Madrid striker for a month and a half, when Benzema scratched a point in the discount at Mestalla. After that December 15 have passed five days and six goals Without an attacker saying this mouth is mine. Iscoonelast_img read more

Double delight for Herbert Morrison pair

first_imgWhen the finalists of the boys’ Class Three high jump final were announced at the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletic Championships at the National Stadium yesterday, all eyes were on Cayman-born high jumper and the Class Three champion and record holder, Calabar High’s Lamar Reid. Not many had their eyes on the Herbert Morrison’s pair of Antonio Hanson and Javier Hall, who both jumped 1.85 metres to take first and second, respectively, and relegate the defending champion, Reid — who scaled 1.75m — to third. Gold medallist Hanson said many people knew of their potential after both jumped personal bests of 1.90 metres at the St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) meet earlier this year, but no one expected them to take the top positions. “People knew we jumped 1.90m at STETHS so they were looking out for us, but they never expected us to win. I knew it would have been hard for us because no one was looking out for us, everyone was looking out for Lamar Reid, the record holder to take this event,” said Hanson. “But we trained hard, trained together and fed off each other’s energy and we came out here and we won … and I expect to beat him (Reid) even if he jumped higher because when he did the last jump I didn’t feel the vibes to jump anymore,” he told The Gleaner. Hall said he expected a tougher fight from Reid. “We expected to win and we came out to win, but he (Reid) never put up the fight we expected so there was no competition. But it is a joy taking back home the gold and silver,” he added. Reid said it was just a bad day. “I feel very bad, I expected to win. But the other team won because I had a bad day today,” he said.last_img read more

Truck driver remanded for 9.3766kgs of cocaine

first_imgThe truck driver who reportedly drove the vehicle which contained 20 pounds of cocaine concealed in a shipment of frozen fish was on Wednesday remanded to prison, after he appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.Thirty-two-year-old Baldeo Persaud of Kingston Street, C Field Leonora, West Coast Demerara (WCD), was not allowed to plead to the charge which alleged that on February 6, 2018, at Laparkan Cargo Shed, Cheddi Jagan International AirportBaldeo Persaud(CJIA), he attempted to traffic 9.3766 kilograms of cocaine.The father of one was represented by Attorney Bernard DaSilva. He was remanded to prison and will return on March 7.His accomplice, 30-year-old businessman Amir Ally, was slapped with the same charged and remanded to prison on February 9, 2018.The court heard that the cocaine was concealed in party frozen fish scheduled for export to the United States of America. The shipper, Ally, was arrested shortly after.last_img read more

Oil and gas sector brought in over $15.6B thus far

first_imgGuyana has thus far benefitted from more than $15.6 billion (US$75 million) directly from the oil and gas sector. This was disclosed by Director of the Energy Department Dr Mark Bynoe as he addressed residents of the Albouystown community on the oil and gas sector at the Heavenly Light World Outreach Centre, on Saturday.Director of the Energy Department Dr Mark BynoeThe statement has debunked the notion being peddled that Guyana and its citizens are going to be ripped off and will receive little or no benefits from the production of oil and gas which is just months away. According to Dr Bynoe, the $15.6 billion (US$75 million) does not include downstream impacts of the industry such as works in mechanics, electrical work, welding and technical warehousing, among others.According to the Department of Public Information (DPI), Bynoe urged the residents to position themselves so that they can benefit from the indirect benefits of the sector while at the same time assisting in transforming the economy.“…The sector employs a fairly small number of persons because most of it is highly mechanised. What we should be training ourselves for, is the expansion of the investment that is coming and that has already started as well as the new Guyana that is to come” Dr Bynoe stated.Residents of Albouystown at the discussion on the oil and gas sectorHowever, he said that skills building and certification are necessary, adding that if they want to be absorbed, they need to start heading in that direction. Dr Bynoe pointed out that the Department of Energy is “more than willing to work with any institution to create that opportunity for more of our Guyanese people not just to be aware but to build the requisite capacity going forward”.Currently, 54 per cent of the persons directly employed in the oil and gas sector are Guyanese. By the year 2020, the target of the Department of Energy is to have that number increased to 75 per cent or greater.Recently, 25 Guyanese were recruited to work on the Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel, which would have between 100 and 150 persons on board. An FPSO is basically a floating vessel that stores barrels of oil. The vessel is expected to meet Guyana’s shores later this year.The Department of Energy has been hosting sensitisation sessions across the country to educate, inform and prepare citizens for the production of oil in 2020.last_img read more