Charlie Austin insists there was no truth in reports linking him with a summer move to Manchester United.The £15m-rated QPR striker was expected to leave Loftus Road following the club’s relegation to the Championship.United were said to be interested in the prolific hitman late in the transfer window, as they looked to boost their attacking options.But Austin insisted that was just media speculation, telling The Sports Bar: “No. That was never on the cards. Not from what I’m aware of.”Austin did, however, confirm he rejected the chance to join another Premier League club to stay at QPR.
Month: December 2019
1 Danny Ings Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke were the big money signings bought to bolster Liverpool forward line in the summer – but it’s Danny Ings who is stealing the limelight right now.After finally being given a run in the first-team, the ex-Burnley striker has three goals in five games following his opener in the Merseyside derby.And Reds supporters are over the moon with the player who isn’t resting on his laurels following a move to Anfield.His work rate, positioning, and finishing have all impressed fans, pundits and Liverpool legends alike and you can see how they reacted when he scored for Liverpool against Everton below…
6 6 1st: Juan Mata (Manchester United) – 30% 6 6th: Eden Hazard (Chelsea) – 6% of votes 6 6 Last week, talkSPORT asked it’s readership to vote on who they thought was the best playmaker in the Premier League.We settled on a shortlist of; Juan Mata, Mesut Ozil, David Silva, Eden Hazard, Christian Eriksen and Philippe Coutinho, and the results are in.Interestingly, most of the voting took place before Arsenal’s demolition of Manchester United on Sunday afternoon – but would have that have altered the verdict?Click the yellow arrow above, right, to discover the results… 5th: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool) – 10% 6 4th: Christian Eriksen (Tottenham) – 11% 2nd: David Silva (Manchester City) – 27% 3rd: Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) – 16%
Sean O’Driscoll Walsall have appointed Sean O’Driscoll as their new head coach.The 58-year-old replaces Dean Smith, who left for Brentford earlier this month, and has signed an initial 18-month deal at the League One club.The interim management team of Jon Whitney, Neil Cutler and John Ward will all stay on.O’Driscoll told the club’s official website: “The culture of the club was the main attraction more than anything else and what everybody at the football club have tried to build in the last few years.“I said to the chairman and the board of directors that in football it’s very rare that you get to contribute towards developing a culture and philosophy.“I’ve watched Walsall in the last two or three seasons and I’ve been entertained every time. There is an exciting project here and I’m relishing the opportunity to play my part in seeing that project through.”Chairman Jeff Bonser added: “We are delighted that Sean has agreed to join us as our new head coach.“We believe he is the right man for the job and will maintain the club’s philosophy of producing young players and playing attractive football.“He has already experienced success at this level with Bournemouth and Doncaster and shares the values which lie at the foundation of Walsall Football Club.“Sean ticks all the boxes in terms of the identity, blueprint and ethos that we work towards.“We believe in his ability to advance the football club and enhance our growing reputation as a progressive, forward-thinking organisation and we look forward to working closely with him, in what we hope will be an exciting new chapter at the club.”O’Driscoll has been out of work since leaving Liverpool, where he was assistant manager, in October after Brendan Rodgers’ sacking. Prior to his four months at Anfield O’Driscoll had been England Under-19 manager.He guided Bournemouth to League One in 2003 and earned promotion to the Championship with Doncaster in 2008 – beating Leeds in the play-off final – while O’Driscoll also had brief spells at Nottingham Forest and Bristol City. He worked with former Walsall assistant Richard O’Kelly – who followed Smith to Brentford – at Bournemouth, Doncaster and Bristol City and is understood to have spent time with the Saddlers during O’Kelly’s spell at the Banks’s Stadium.O’Driscoll will take charge for the first time when the Saddlers, third in League One, host Port Vale at the Banks’s Stadium on Sunday.Smith joined Brentford after almost five years in charge at Walsall. 1
17. Joey O’Brien (right back) 11 20. Victor Moses (winger) 14. Pedro Obiang (centre midfield) 2. Winston Reid (centre back) 11 11 21. Angelo Ogbonna (centre back) 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 3. Aaron Cresswell (left back) 27. Dimitri Payet (attacking midfield) 16. Mark Noble (centre midfield) 11 1. Darren Randolph (goalkeeper) – see the full line up, in squad number order, by clicking the arrow above 11. Enner Valencia (striker) West Ham host Liverpool in the FA Cup fourth round on Saturday evening – and you can listen to the game live on talkSPORT from 7.45pm GMT.The Hammers and the Reds played out a fairly lifeless affair in the first game at Anfield, but both may be a little more inspired to go for victory tonight knowing victory will hand them a fifth round clash with Blackburn Rovers.Jurgen Klopp could opt for another young and inexperienced XI at Upton Park but Slaven Bilic could take things a little more seriously.The Croatian manager will have to do without James Tomkins (calf) and Sam Byram (cup-tied), which means Joey O’Brien will start at right back.Meanwhile, loan star Emanuel Emenike is unavailable as he wasn’t at the club when the two times met first time around.Take a look at talkSPORT’s predicted West Ham starting line up v Liverpool in the FA Cup by clicking the yellow arrow above, right. 30. Michail Antonio (winger)
Total enrollment708,461694,288 -2 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Economic conditions like job availability and housing costs also contributed to the decline, officials said. — LAUSD enrollment TOTAL GRADED GRADES2006-07 2007-08%CHANGE K-5 323,112312,222-3.37 Enrollment34,94434,226-2.05 6th-8th158,631 154,002-2.92 Los Angles Unified’s total student enrollment continued its expected decline, dropping 2 percent from 708,461 students last year to 694,288 this year, according to figures released Thursday by the district. About 41,000 of the students – or 6 percent of the population – are enrolled in fiscally independent charter schools. Charter schools reduced enrollment at traditional LAUSD schools by about 1 percent per year. District officials attribute the drop to a decline in births in Los Angeles County, which have declined sharply since 1990 but have now stabilized. Enrollment673,517 660,062 -2 SOURCE: Los Angeles Unified School District 9th-12th191,774193,838+1.08 TOTAL UNGRADED 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The suspects entered separate vehicles and drove away, Meadows said. One of the suspects, a 32-year-old San Bernardino man, was found by officers at a nearby gas station, he said. Elderly driver must pay $12.5M to family VENTURA – Jurors say an elderly driver who struck a Thousand Oaks bicyclist from behind in the bike lane, killing him, must pay $12.5 million to the family of the late dental surgeon. Eighty-two-year-old Norma Seigel learned a month before the accident that she had cataracts and she admitted responsibility in the death of Glenn Garvin. The 49-year-old dental surgeon, a longtime cyclist who headed bicycle safety for the city of Thousand Oaks, was riding in the bicycle lane with a friend a year ago when he was struck from behind. MONTEBELLO – A man was arrested Friday on suspicion of stealing valuable antique jeans from a local store, officials said. The incident occurred about 5 p.m. at Demo, a clothing store located inside the Montebello Town Center, said Montebello police Sgt. Rich Meadows. A store employee had just inventoried a display of antique jeans worth more than $250 each when the worker spotted two suspects looking through them, Meadows said. Once they left, the employee re-counted the jeans and discovered two pairs were missing, said Meadows. Four shirts, valued at more than $150, were also missing, he added. The total loss to the store was estimated to be $1,000. After a weeklong wrongful death trial, the Ventura County Superior Court jury came up with the $12.5 million verdict for the dental surgeon’s widow Pamela Garvin and his two minor children. Glendale Galleria to pay $74M LOS ANGELES – Jurors decided the owner of the Glendale Galleria must pay $74 million to the developer of a competing complex for illegally trying to block the opening of a Cheesecake Factory restaurant. Rick Caruso, developer of the $264 million Americana at Brand residential and retail complex opening next to the Galleria in 2008, says Galleria owner General Growth Properties illegally tried to block the restaurant. – From staff and wire reports160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings“If he was successful, then the region’s economy would have been at the mercy of Southern Pacific and that would have been disastrous,” Marquez said. While Huntington tried to get his Santa Monica port recognized as the official harbor for the Los Angeles region, efforts were already under way to bulk up the port in San Pedro. U.S. Sen. Stephen M. White, the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce and Los Angeles Times Publisher Harrison Gray Otis believed the port should be a city-operated enterprise and pushed efforts to build a “Port of Los Angeles” in San Pedro Bay. “Those men saw potential for the mud flats in San Pedro,” Marquez said. “They believed the harbor could be developed by lots of digging and dredging.” To a lesser extent, interests in Redondo Beach and Playa del Rey had tried to enter the fray, but those efforts quickly fell by the wayside, setting the scene for an epic battle that became known as the “Free Harbor Contest.” San Pedro Bay had been struggling as a port for nearly a half-century, but the mud flats surrounding the inland harbor failed to excite railroad magnate Collis P. Huntington. So rather than run his Southern Pacific Railroad down to San Pedro, Huntington bought more than 200 acres in Santa Monica in the hope of bolstering his vision for a “Port Los Angeles.” He built a wharf that extended 4,720 feet into the Pacific Ocean, attracting more than 300 cargo ships during its first year in 1893. “He wanted people to think his port was close to Los Angeles, when in fact it wasn’t,” said Ernest Marquez of West Hills, who chronicled Huntington’s efforts in his 1975 book “Port Los Angeles: A Phenomenon of the Railroad Era.” Congress established the River and Harbor Act of 1896, which created a commission to decide whether federal funds should go to Santa Monica or San Pedro. Three years later, Congress put its money on San Pedro and breakwater construction began a short time afterward. “There was no way a harbor of this magnitude could have been developed in Santa Monica because there are too many cliffs on the beach, and it was wide open to the ocean,” Marquez said. “San Pedro was favored because the harbor went inland and protected ships from the open seas.” The city of Los Angeles then annexed a 16-mile strip of land to connect to the port in 1906. The communities of San Pedro and Wilmington were annexed three years later. The city’s newfound ownership of the port gave rise to a new harbor commission, a three-member panel appointed in 1907 by then-Mayor A.C. Harper. The 100th anniversary of the harbor commission’s creation will be marked during a celebration at 4 p.m. Sunday. The bash will include historical displays, refreshments, boat shows and a performance by Taiwan’s Evergreen Symphony Orchestra. A fireworks display is set for 7 p.m. The first commissioners – George H. Stewart, Frederick William Braun and T.E. Gibbon – regularly met in downtown Los Angeles and made “big news” during the rare occasions they traveled about 20 miles south to San Pedro, according to Geraldine Knatz, executive director for the Port of Los Angeles. The panel didn’t have a budget and its members often had to pay for expenses out of their own pockets, she said. “When the voters approved the annexation and bond improvements for port improvements, the money went to the Board of Public Works, not the harbor commissioners,” Knatz said. “It got so bad that all the commissioners resigned in disgust by 1913.” The first harbor commission faced many of the struggles that persist today, such as building new infrastructure and bolstering regional economic development, Knatz said. “When you read through the meeting minutes from 100 years ago, you learn that nothing really changes,” Knatz said. “There will never be enough money, you’ll be lobbied by different interest groups, and you’ll always have to deal with residents who live near the port. It’s always going to be hard.” The port has come a long way since those early years, with the arrival of cargo container ships in 1937, the advent of towering gantry cranes during the late 1960s and, more recently, an environmental push aimed at reducing diesel emissions from ships and trucks. About 15.8 million cargo units passed through the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach last year, accounting for more than 40 percent of the nation’s imports. That number is expected to double by 2020 and nearly triple by 2030, according to local economist John Husing. Additionally, some 500,000 people in Southern California are employed directly and indirectly by port-related businesses, Husing said last month. “The port is a vital part of our national economy, but it is just as important locally, providing good jobs for generations of local residents,” said Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn, whose 15th District includes the port. To remain competitive, the port must continue to grow while also keeping the environment in mind, Husing said. Several shipping companies operating at the Port of Los Angeles are studying expansion options that call for environmentally friendly accommodations, such as AMP technology that allows container ships to “plug in” to a generator and operate on electrical power while docked, rather than idling on their diesel engines. China Shipping was the first company to use the technology at the Port of Los Angeles, resulting in the elimination of 300 tons of pollution-forming nitrogen oxides since 2004, according to port officials. “Growing green is imperative if any kind of expansion is going to happen,” Knatz said. “It’s always difficult to be out front on these issues, but we can’t afford to be a follower.” Indeed, the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach approved a clean air plan in 2006 aimed at reducing emissions by 50 percent over the next five years. The ports are poised in 2008 to roll out the plan’s first provisions, including a so-called Clean Trucks Program that calls for replacing or retrofitting about 16,000 diesel-spewing big rigs with cleaner-burning vehicles by 2012. “The time has come for us to truly commit to cleaning up our air and limiting emissions from the port,” Hahn said. “It is my hope that working together, we can finally have both a productive and efficient port, but also clean and healthy communities.” email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Liverpool have registered an interest in Hoffenheim defender Niklas Sule, according to reports in Germany.Sule, 20, is rated as one of the top young prospects in Germany and has nailed down a regular place in Hoffenheim’s team this season, making 28 appearances.A Germany under-21 international, he has been scouted by a number of Bundesliga clubs in recent months but it is Liverpool who have made the first move for the defender.Reds boss Jurgen Klopp was a big admirer of Sule from his time in charge of Borussia Dortmund and has ordered Liverpool’s directors to make an approach for him.According to Bild, Liverpool have already made contact with Hoffenheim about the possibility of doing a deal at the end of the season and are awaiting the German club’s response. Niklas Sule 1