BACOLOD City – Suspected shabuweighing about 210 grams valued at around P2.5 million was seized in a buy-bustoperation in Barangay 1. BY CYRUS GARDE AND MAE SINGUAY Castillo, meanwhile, was detained inthe lockup cell of Police Station 2, facing charges for violation of RepublicAct 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002./PN The 28-year-old resident JesselCastillo and her live-in partner Ernesto Calatis yielded the suspected illegaldrugs around 11 p.m. on Monday, a police report showed. Calatis – a high value suspectrecently released from prison of drug charges – evaded arrest, the reportadded. Police officers conducted a manhuntoperation against Calatis. Aside from suspected shabu, a P1,000marked money was also recovered from the suspects, police said.
Month: September 2020
President Duterte left the country on Monday to attend the enthronement of Japanese Emperor Naruhito. He is supposed to return to the country on Wednesday. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte was forced to cut short his attendance of the enthronement of Japan’s emperor “due to unbearable pain in his spinal column,” due to what Malacañang said was “unbearable pain” in his lower back after a motorcycle mishap last week. “The Palace, however, confirms that the President has attended the enthronement rites earlier today, albeit carrying a cane to assist him in his walk,” added Panelo. According to Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo, the President was scheduled to return home last night and will meet with a neurologist today for consultation. President Duterte was slightly hurt when he fell off his motorcycle last week as he went for a ride inside the Presidential Security Group compound but it was dismissed as just slight injury./PN “The Chief Executive will thus have to miss the Emperor’s banquet this evening at the Imperial Palace and has requested Mayor Sara Duterte to represent him and attend on his behalf,” said Panelo in a statement Tuesday. “While this was unforeseeable, the public can rest assured that there is nothing to worry as regards the physical health and condition of the President as he gives serious priority thereto in actively serving our country,” he said. President Rodrigo Duterte arrives to attend the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Naruhito of Japan at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on Tuesday. AP
“Isangtaon na minarkahan ang mga ebidensiya, mga kontrata at resibo ng mga farmers, na sa kanilatalaga napunta ang pera. Hindi ako pumasok ng MOA ng walang authority ngSangguniang Panlalawigan. Binigyan nilaako ng authority na pumasok ngMOA, at notarized ito,” she added, saying she was hopingfor a reversal of the conviction and is prepared for a long legal battle ahead. The Sandiganbayan has set Padaca’sbail to P140,000 – double the amount of the P70,000 bail she earlier posted for her temporary liberty. Padaca said she was stunned with theSandiganbayan’s verdict as she maintained that she did not steal fromgovernment coffers. In a verdict on Friday, the anti-graftcourt found Padaca guilty of malversation of public funds and graft. She wassentenced to 12 to 14 years of jail time for her malversation conviction, ontop of six to 10 years prison time for graft. “Lahatng iyon (P25 million), napunta sa farmers. Alamnatin kung gaano sila naghihirap, umuutang sila sa mga traders atfinanciers. Hindi iyon napunta sa akin,” Padacasaid. Manila – The Sandiganbayan has convicted former Isabela Gov. GracePadaca for allegedly granting P25 million to a private entity for theprovince’s rice program. Former Isabela Gov. Grace Padaca was found guilty of malversation of public funds and graft by the Sandiganbayan on Friday. She was sentenced to 12 to 14 years of jail time for malversation, on top of six to 10 years prison time for graft. ABS-CBN NEWS The anti-graft court also ordered herto pay the Isabela government P18 million in fine for granting the P25-millioncontract to Economic Development for Western Isabela and Northern LuzonFoundation, Inc. (EDWINLFI) for the implementation of Isabela’s rice program,even if the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the two parties was notapproved by the Provincial Board. Padaca, who also served as Commissionon Elections commissioner before, was a recipient of the 2008 Ramon MagsaysayAward for Good Governance and is one of the founders of Kaya Natin, a movementfor good governance./PN
The suspect was detained in thecustodial facility of Police Station 2, facing charges for violation ofRepublic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002./PN Cuadra was nabbed after he soldsuspected shabu to an undercover officer for P200 on Dec. 4, the report added. Suspected shabu valued at aroundP30,000 was seized from Moises Cuadra of Barangay 2, a police report showed. BACOLOD City – Police arrested an18-year-old man in a drug buy-bust operation in Barangay 3.
Solido voluntarily turned himself in tothe Pototan police station./PN ILOILO City – The motorcycle he wasdriving hit a dump truck on Rizal Street, Pototan, Iloilo. Sultan was navigating the road in highspeed when he crashed against the dump truck driven by Cecelio Solido, 52, ofBarangay Mina West, Mina, Iloilo. The 40-year-old Mariano Patosa ofBarangay Igang, Pototan sustained fatal injuries on the head, a police reportshowed. He was rushed to the Iloilo Provincial Hospital in thesaid town where the attendingphysician declared him “dead on arrival,” it added. According to police investigation, theincident happened around 5:40 a.m. on Dec. 21.
“Historically, the PNP has always been a problem for any administration. Alam ninyo ‘yan. And I think that with the remaining two years, if I can just fix a third of what’s bugging the PNP, and that is corruption,” he added. MANILA – PresidentRodrigo Duterte did not hide his frustration over the Philippine NationalPolice (PNP), saying the institutionhas always been a problem for any administration. Duterte has yet to name the new PNP chief after admitting that he has troubles appointing a replacement for Oscar Albayalde, who stepped down from his post in October. Among the candidates for the PNP chief post were PNP officer-in-charge Archie Gamboa, deputy chief for operations Camilo Cascolan and directorial staff head Guillermo Eleazar. In an interview with the media at Malacañang on Tuesday afternoon, President Duterte has given Interior Secretary Eduardo Año a blanket authority to fix the problems in the PNP. President Rodrigo Roa Duterte. PCOO “I have ordered Secretary Año to make the corrections… It is on his shoulder the future of how the police would behave in the coming years,” President Duterte said. Albayalde relinquished his post before his retirement age after he was accused during a Senate investigation of blocking the dismissal of 13 policemen involved in an irregular drug raid in Pampanga during his stint as provincial police chief in 2013./PN
When frisked, Brillantes yielded asachet of suspected shabu and drug paraphernalia. Police also impounded hismotorcycle. Prior to his arrest, Brillantes – residentof Barangay Mansilingan – had a heatedargument with traffic enforcer Alvin Rivera around 11 a.m. on Jan. 11, thereport added. A .45-caliber pistol with seven livebullets was confiscated from 42-year-old Ronel Brillantes, a police reportshowed. The suspect was detained in the lockup cell of Police Station 1, facing charges./PN BACOLOD City – A man was nabbed forpossessing an unlicensed gun in Barangay 38.
According to Police Captain EduardSiacon, Jaro police chief, Muller was attacked just minutes after emerging fromhis house. Mayor Jerry Treñas ordered the ICPO toconduct an investigation and set up checkpoints. In Aug. 16, 2019 Muller’s youngerbrother who was also a call center agent and drug surrenderer was shot byriding-in-tandem gunmen in Barangay Taft North, Mandurriao district. This casehas remained unsolved. He said Police Colonel MartinDefensor, the city police director, assured him that the ICPO was “on top ofthe situation.” A week before yesterday’s shooting,Jaro policemen visited Muller’s house and tried to coax him into undergoingdrug rehabilitation but he refused citing his tight work schedule. In the case of Britanico, his familytold the police they believed the killing was business-related. Muller was peppered with bulletsoutside his house by two masked men who alighted from a silver-painted car ataround 12:05 p.m. while a motorcycle-driving Britanico was ambushed by gunmenwho were in a black van at around 12:30 p.m. although there were initialreports that the gunmen were riding in tandem on a motorcycle. SHOT DEAD. A woman comes to the aid of call center agent Alain Muller who falls to the ground after being shot by masked men in Barangay Cuartero, Jaro, Iloilo City a little past noon on Jan. 19, 2020. Muller, a drug suspect, died. PHOTO BY JOMARIE HIMALAYA It appeared, he said, that the gunmenprepared for the strike and knew exactly when Muller was emerging from hishouse. The first shooting took place in Barangay Cuartero, Jaro a little past noon while the one in La Paz happened in Barangay Nabitasan at around 12:30 p.m. Britanico was taken to the MedicusMedical Center in Mandurriao district where he was declared dead./PN ILOILO City – As the city prepares forthe Dinagyang Festival, two men were shot to death just minutes apart in thedistricts of Jaro and La Paz past noon yesterday. The Iloilo City Police Office(ICPO) played down the broad daylight killings as “isolated incidents.” It was possible Muller went out of thehouse because he was meeting someone, added Siacon. Muller was brought to the WesternVisayas Medical Center in Mandurriao district where he died. The younger Muller was in the watchlist of the Barangay Anti-Drug Abuse Council of Cuartero as a drug user. Heturned himself in to the police in 2017 but did not undergo rehabilitation. “Information reached us that Mullerwas engaged in the illegal drug trade,” said Siacon. The victim in the Jaro shooting was42-year-old call center agent and drug surrenderer Alain Muller of BarangayCuartero while the victim in the La Paz shooting was 37-year-old businessmanDelfin Britanico of Mirasol Subdivision, La Paz. It was initially speculated that theshooting was a result of a traffic altercation with a black van. Britanico had a quarry business inAklan province, according to ICPO’s Colonel Defensor. CRIME SCENE. A police officer secures the spot where motorcycle-driving businessman Delfin Britanico was ambushed in Barangay Nabitasan, La Paz, Iloilo City on Jan. 19. 2020. The victim’s family believes the attack is business-related, according to the Iloilo City Police Office. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN “Hinalilang nag abot ang salakyan pila pa lang ka minutos nga nag gwa ang biktima,” said Siacon.
BACOLOD City – The court recommended nobail bond for the temporary liberty of a rape suspect arrested in BarangayPinapugasan, Escalante City, Negros Occidental. The suspect was detained in thecustodial facility of the Escalante City police station./PN Police officers served the warrantissued by Judge Ma. Rita Sarabia of the Regional Trial Court Branch 58 in SanCarlos City dated May 12, 2009. The 33-year-old Felix Pabalate wascaught on the strength of an arrest warrant around 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 22, apolice report showed.
Bacolod City – The Philippine National Police (PNP) has approved afour-day gun ban for the 15th Bacolaodiat Festival here. Brigadier General Rene Pamusmusan,director of the Police Regional Office in Western Visayas (PRO-6), issued amemorandum which suspends the permits to carry firearms outside residenceduring the festivity slated Jan. 31 to Feb. 3. Pico added the festival will kick offon Jan. 31 to Feb. 2 but the gun ban will end around 12 a.m. on Feb. 3. BCPO chief of the operationsLieutenant Colonel Lester Leada said a total of 800 police officers will alsobe deployed as the city aims for a “zero major” incident during thecelebration. Meanwhile, Bacolod City Police Office(BCPO) spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Ariel Pico said only members of the PNP,Armed Forces of the Philippines and uniformed personnel with official dutiesare allowed to carry firearms. The Bacolod Traffic Authority Office,meanwhile, said it will deploy around 160 traffic enforcers to prevent roadproblems in the duration of the festivity./PN He said the PRO-6 will provide 250augmentation personnel to secure the festival sites at the Bacolod GovernmentCenter and Lacson Tourism Strip.