Careless smoking blamed for fire

Careless smoking is believed to be the cause of an early morning fire in a townhouse on Rebecca Street in Hamilton.Firefighters were called to the building between Ferguson & Cathcart just after 3:30 a.m. where they found flames in the front room of an end unit.Most of the damage was contained to that room, although there is smoke and water damage to the basement and upper level.A woman and two dogs were sleeping inside.  All of them eventually made it out, but one of the dogs is in critical condition. A neighbour says the woman had wanted to go back for them.Residents of the neigbouring units have been allowed to return.There were no working smoke detectors in any of the units in the building.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *