Amelia’s Ward house gutted by fire

first_imgBy Utamu BelleA Linden resident is now counting his losses following a fire which took place at Amelia’s Ward, Mackenzie, Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) on Thursday afternoon. The fire, which completely gutted the wooden house at Lot 744 South Amelia’s Ward, also partially damaged another house situated in the same yard.At the time of the incident, none of the occupants of the two houses were at home. However, according to Brian Williams, the fire started at approximately 13:30h after a man who had been weeding the yard proceeded to light a fire to discard of cut grass. Williams noted that while he is not an occupant of either of the homes, he was working along with the weeder at the time the fire started.“We light a fire and after we out it down, it start back. When we thought it out, it didn’t really finish,” Williams related. He added that firefighters arrived on the scene at approximately 14:30h, but by then, the wooden house had already collapsed as a result of the fire.The aftermath of the fire“They didn’t really get to out it, because when they come the house already fall down,” he explained. Kenneth Alexander, who has been residing at the premises which was completely gutted, said he lost everything, including all of his household appliances. He noted that he has been residing there for approximately two years.“Everything, everything lost… two chair sets, fridge, wall divider, music set, bedroom set, everything…” a despondent Alexander indicated.Guyana Times understands that the second house that was partially damaged is concrete and is owned by persons who reside overseas. A female caretaker, who explained that she has been living at the house for years, was at the scene following the fire, along with another occupant. The Linden Fire Station has since launched an investigation into the matter.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *