View Comments Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today.Hugh Jackman Cancels Turkey ConcertsTony winner and recent The River star Hugh Jackman has canceled the remaining performances of his one-man show An Evening with Hugh Jackman in Istanbul, Turkey due to a vocal hemorrhage. Performances were scheduled to run through March 20. The Oscar nominee took to Twitter to promise, “Make no mistake, I’ll be back!” We sure hope so, Hugh. Geçmiş olsun!Rita Moreno Will Get Physical on CBSEGOT-winner Rita Moreno will return to the small screen for CBS’s sitcom pilot Joe Time. The multi-cam comedy, according to Deadline, follows—get this—Joe (played by Broadway alum Steven Weber) who sits on the sidelines as everyone around him follows their dreams and pursues happiness. Moreno will play Judy, Joe’s fitness-obsessed mother. Also on tap are Alli Kinzel and Noland Ammon.James Monroe Iglehart Gets Another ViewTony-winning Aladdin star and former Broadway.com vlogger James Monroe Iglehart has his wish of becoming a daytime talk show host granted last summer, and now he’s back for another round. Broadway’s Genie will return as a guest co-host on The View on March 20, along with fellow Broadway alum Raven-Symoné. Tune in as the two chat with off-Broadway’s The Mystery of Love & Sex stars Diane Lane and Tony Shalhoub.Kristin Scott Thomas is a Challenging DameThe Queen making you a Dame is surely a nerve-racking experience—one that surely isn’t made any less terrifying by the Queen giving you the regal equivalent of “Well, good luck with that.” Kristin Scott Thomas, who is set to play Queen Elizabeth II in the West End’s The Audience beginning April 21, received the British Hono(u)r on March 19. According to The Telegraph, Thomas told reporters on the scene that Her Majesty “asked me what I was doing next, so I had to tell her and she said it would be quite a challenge.” We’re certain the Olivier winner is up to the task—just as Dame Helen Mirren is stateside.OBIEs Set Date for 2015 CelebrationThe date is now set for the 60th annual OBIE Awards. The ceremony, celebrating off-Broadway’s finest, will take place at Webster Hall on May 18. As previously reported, the judging panel this year will include playwright Adam Bock, orchestrator Bruce Coughlin, director Lear deBessonet, scenic designer Mimi Lien, critic David Rooney, Village Voice critic Tom Sellar, director Liesl Tommy and Michael Feingold. James Monroe Iglehart Star Files
An artist’s impression of Durban Stadium. (Image: MediaClubSouthAfrica.com. For more free photos, visit the image library.) MEDIA CONTACTS • Sifiso Cele OC media accreditation manager +27 (0)83 2010 338 [email protected] den HartighWith the 2010 Fifa World Cup only eight months away, the football tournament’s organising committee (OC) has invited the media to register for accreditation. This process, for professional permanent and freelance media, will launch on 5 December, the day after the final draw, and close on 31 January 2010.Apply onlineA media accreditation workshop held at Safa House, the South African Football Association’s headquarters, in Johannesburg on 5 October was the first in a countrywide campaign to educate the media on accreditation. At the briefing, OC representatives explained that media professionals have to apply online for accreditation on the Fifa Media Channel. The accreditation form can only be accessed once a new user account has been created. The registration process will also request media to attach a press card or other professional media credentials.The OC stressed that the online application does not guarantee accreditation – it is only the first step in the screening process. Sifiso Cele, OC media accreditation manager, said Fifa had asked the organising committee not to reveal the selection criteria, or the number of journalists that will receive accreditation in each country.He said everyone who applies will receive confirmation via email indicating whether their application was successful. Applicants who are rejected will be provided with reasons for the decision. Further motivation for such applications will be necessary, and journalists’ organisations may contact Fifa and the OC to review the decision.Successful applicants have to collect media tags and have their photos taken at media accreditation centres countrywide. Accredited media will receive an accreditation card, match and parking tickets, and supplementary accreditation devices (SADs) for press conferences, the match day, mixed zone, tribune and pitch.Jens-Peter Hecht, OC media operations manager, said it is also important to note that this is not a “blanket accreditation” for all Fifa World Cup events – media have to apply for SADs on an event-to-event basis.Cele explained that, as in previous World Cup finals, each football association will be allocated a quota of written press and photographer accreditations. Correspondents for foreign newspapers in South Africa should also submit requests for accreditation to their respective national associations in their country of origin.Freelance journalists and photographers have to follow the same process by registering online first. He emphasised that no late registrations of any media practitioners will be considered.Accreditation for the final drawJournalists who wish to cover the final draw on 4 December should apply for accreditation on the Media Channel between 1 and 31 October. In his presentation, Cele said that approvals of media accreditation requests would be limited to the capacity of the facilities.The application information submitted is also subject to a review process, the availability of space in the Cape Town International Convention Centre (where the draw will take place) and a security check.The Fifa Media ChannelBesides initial registration, the Media Channel will be a useful resource for journalists, photographers and other media professionals covering the World Cup. It will be a one-stop shop for everything to do with the event and registered users will have access to media information not available on FIFA.com.The Media Channel will have a detailed events calendar with listings of all Fifa and partner media events. Information on stadium media centres, transportation, parking, participating team-related activities, training sessions and special media announcements can also be found on the site. Most importantly, the Fifa Media Channel includes the match ticket application tool to request match tickets.Accreditation for broadcastersAt the workshop, the OC outlined the special conditions for Fifa non-rights local and international broadcast media. Marcia Mahlalela from Fifa TV explained that any broadcast organisation or persons who are not licensed rights holders (do not hold the broadcast rights for the event) fall within this category.Non-rights holders (NRH) who would like to cover the event can do so, provided they comply with certain criteria and are accredited. As is the case with other media, Mahlalela pointed out that only a certain number of NRH accreditations are available. Upon approval, the NRH will be issued with NRH accreditation and stickers to identify their broadcast equipment.She said that accredited NRH media would not be allowed to record or broadcast within the stadium precincts, including the surrounding areas where the match is taking place. The OC said that this is in an effort to protect the interests of rights holders. Anyone contravening this would have to leave the stadium and would have their accreditation withdrawn. NRHs will also not have access mixed zones, interview studios and press conference rooms.They can, however, request observer seats, provided there is space at least 90 minutes before the start of the game, but no broadcast or recording equipment can be brought into the stadium on match days. This provision is also on a first-come-first-served basis.Any footage required by a NRH can be obtained from the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC), the media rights licensee. But Mahlalela emphasised that this does not entitle the NRH to upgrade their accreditation status to that of a rights holder.Some journalists expressed concerns about the difficulty in communicating with the SABC during the 2009 Fifa Confederations Cup earlier this year. Mahlalela assured the media that Fifa and the OC are in the process of ironing out any difficulties with the public broadcaster.2010 media accreditation workshopsMore workshops are scheduled in other parts of the country from 6 to 23 October:Polokwane: Tuesday 6 October 2009 from 11.30am -13.30 pm at Nirvana Hall, corner Orient and Tagore Street, opposite Nirvana LibraryMangaung/Bloemfontein: Thursday 8 October 2009 from 11.30am -13.30 pm at Indaba Auditorium Bram Fischer Building, corner Markgraff and Nelson Mandela Streets, BloemfonteinRustenburg: Monday 12 October 2009 from 11.30am -13.30 pm at 7th Floor, Rustenburg Local Municipality, corner Beyers Naude and Nelson Mandela DriveNelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth: Tuesday 20 October 2009 from 11.30am -13.30 pm at Nelson Mandela Bay StadiumDurban: Wednesday 21 October 2009 from 11.30am -13.30 pm – venue to be confirmedCape Town: Thursday 22 October 2009 from 11.30am -13.30 pm at The Crush Room, 5th Floor, Podium Block, Cape Town Civic CentreNelspruit: Friday 23 October 2009 from 11.30am -13.30 pm at Nelspruit Civic Centre, Council ChambersMedia are requested to RSVP to [email protected] or email Sifiso Cele at [email protected] or +27 (0)83 2010 338.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The American Farm Bureau Federation and the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture have petitioned the Environmental Protection Agency to delay the January 2017 start date of its worker protection safety rule. AFBF and NASDA cited EPA violations of federal law as well as incomplete and undelivered compliance and enforcement tools to support their petition.According to the joint petition to EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy, the WPS rule was issued in violation of federal law. The proposal, Farm Bureau and NASDA told McCarthy, “fails to advance the purpose of furthering the safety of farmworkers.” The rule’s rapidly approaching implementation also poses “a serious problem for administration of the rule’s requirements” by state departments of agriculture as well as farmers and ranchers who must comply with its terms.“We ask EPA to delay the effective date to give NASDA members adequate time to prepare for compliance with the rule and to avoid the unfair and unredressable harm to farmers and ranchers,” the groups said.The petition from AFBF and NASDA claims EPA did not meet the law’s requirements when it failed to provide congressional agriculture committees a final copy of the regulations along with the copy sent to the agriculture secretary. The EPA has acknowledged that omission in responses to questions from Congress.“EPA’s failure to meet its statutory obligations deprived Congress of its lawful expectation of examining the regulation before its promulgation,” the petition states.The groups also claimed that the rule’s “designated representative” provision exceeds the scope of the WPS rule by depriving farmers of reasonable expectation of privacy for confidential business information. The groups say that the rule subjects farmers to potential harassment and public criticisms for lawful use of EPA-approved pesticides. In spite of the groups identifying problems related to equity and implementation of the WPS rule, EPA has not addressed the problems.The petition also asserts that the EPA has failed to finalize and deliver to state lead agencies the enforcement guidance, educational material and training resources needed to effectively implement the rule and assist farmers and ranchers with compliance efforts.“At this time, even if all of the compliance and enforcement materials were completed and distributed to all the appropriate state enforcement agencies, there is simply not enough time for the (state lead agencies) and the regulated community to successfully implement the provisions scheduled to take effect on January 1, 2017,” the petition states. “In short, EPA has failed to develop and deliver the necessary resources for states to train the regulated community on the new requirements, and the agency has failed to comply with its own WPS Implementation Timeline.”
IT + Project Management: A Love Affair Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… michael tchong 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now In the past few weeks, I have written two stories about the menace the Internet represents, particularly in view of the hacking attacks almost certainly perpetrated by the Chinese Red Army. In particular, my contention that we need to develop a next generation Internet that’s more secure and, preferably, walled in, drew a lot of heated commentary.Here are just a few of the choicest ones:This is unmitigated isolationist idiocy.Seriously… is this a spoof article?This post should not appear in readwriteweb.(See World War III Is Already Here – And We’re Losing and Cyberwar Imperative: We Need A Next-Generation Internet.)Hacking As Retaliation?That’s great, and maybe there really isn’t any problem here. But the fact is that about 10 days after the first story ran – I got hacked.A coincidence? I think not.Or maybe it was my own doing, astutely observed one reader: “I asked for it.” Now where have I heard that blame game before?So what happened? Someone hacked my email password and sent thousands for spam messages using my account. I knew something was wrong when I suddenly was inundated with “Mail delivery failed” subject lines. My Twitter account was hacked, too, but that could just be Twitter’s lax security measures.Of course, there’s no way to tell if the dirty deed was done by the Chinese, or even whether it was in retaliation for the articles. But the timing certainly seems suspect.In his State of the Union address, President Obama ranked hackers and cyber attacks among the greatest economic and national U.S. security threats. The President’s response was to issue an executive order calling for more sharing of cyber-attack and threat information between private and public sectors. Naturally, civil libertarians object to this executive order due to potential invasions of privacy.Solution: Fix the Internet ItselfA far more practical idea comes form New England Complex Systems Institute, which is set to publish a report next week that agrees with my stated principles. The NECSI report blames the problem on the Internet itself, and says that the only solution is to redesign it.“The current design of the Internet is inherently insecure,” says NECSI President and co-author Yaneer Bar-Yam in a press release. “Any node can be attacked from any other node, requiring the entire network to be fortified against all possible attacks, an unrealistic goal,” adds Bar-Yam.That would require redesigning the Internet’s architecture itself. The report proposes substantial changes to routers in charge of switching data packets between network nodes.“Collective security-preventing attacks would require that the routers of the Internet themselves would need to have protocols that allow refusal of transmission based upon content or extrinsic information such as point of origin,” according to the study’s authors.The study, Principles of Security: Human, Cyber and Biological, was developed at the request of a long-term military planning group, the Strategic Studies Group, which reports to the Chief of Naval Operations. The report is being released for the first time to the public next week.As for me, I’m glad to see that other people are thinking about realistic solutions to make our Internet less vulnerable to attacks of all kinds.Image of alleged Chinese hackers compound courtesy of Reuters. Related Posts Tags:#China#cybersecurity#email#Government#hack#international#security#twitter Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of…