RSF_en Many historic publications threatened with closure in Chad ChadAfrica Reporters Without Borders today condemned the “archaic censorship” being implemented by the communication ministry and reiterated its call for the government of Chad to lift the draconian curbs on press freedom that are part of a state of emergency decreed three days ago.“The publication of newspapers with black strips replacing articles censored by civil servants is a sad spectacle,” the press freedom organisation said. “Using scissors will not help the government restore peace. It will just radicalise the opposition and give it additional arguments for resisting. We urge President Idriss Deby Itno to order his government to seek negotiated solutions rather than continue with these absurd and depressing measures.”The special unit created at the communication ministry to implement prior censorship of the N’Djamena-based print media began to function on 14 November, the day after the state of emergency was decreed in N’Djamena and six of the country’s regions, Reporters Without Borders has learned from the leading local media.The newspapers that chose to continue publishing have seen several stories censored on each of the past three days by the special unit, consisting of Mahamat Saleh Yacoub, the ministry’s secretary-general, and Nguérébaye Adoum Saleh, an advisor to the ministry. Before each issue is approved for distribution, a provisional copy has to be taken to the minister’s office for vetting. The privately-owned newspapers L’Observateur, Notre Temps and Le Temps appeared on 14, 15 and 16 November with black strips and the word “Censored” replacing articles or photos that were removed.Yacoub and Saleh went to the headquarters of Le Temps on 15 November and demanded to see the provisional copy of that day’s issue. On learning that it had already gone to the printer’s, they insisted that the layout editor, Dipombé Payébé, accompany them there to vet the issue and remove any elements “likely to undermine national cohesion.”Bégoto Yaldet Oulatar, the editor of the newspaper N’Djamena Bi-Hebdo, told Reporters Without Borders he decided to suspend publication until the state of emergency’s initial period was over. According to Chad’s constitution, the president can only declare a state of emergency for an initial period of 12 days, after which parliament’s approval is needed for any extension.The privately-owned radio stations, which according to the state of emergency decree are henceforth banned from referring to “matters liable to jeopardise public order, national unity, territorial integrity and respect for the republic’s institutions,” have so far not been affected by censorship.The decision to restore prior censorship of the privately-owned press was prompted by recent articles about the rebels who are fighting government troops in eastern Chad. In early November, the weekly Notre Temps published photos of rebel leaders and speculated about their possibilities of any of them replaced Deby as president.Notre Temps also published an interview with one of the rebel leaders, in which he spoke of the “post-Deby period.” On 6 November, the weekly Le Temps published the political programme of Mahamat Nouri, the head of the Union for Democratic Forces for Development (UFDD), one of the rebel groups. Receive email alerts Chadian radio stations on strike in protest against violent raid Organisation The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Help by sharing this information December 1, 2020 Find out more November 27, 2020 Find out more to go further News ChadAfrica Reporters Without Borders today condemned the “archaic censorship” being implemented by the communication ministry and reiterated its call for the government of Chad to lift the draconian curbs on press freedom that are part of a state of emergency decreed three days ago. Reports Follow the news on Chad October 7, 2020 Find out more News November 16, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Implementation of prior censorship results in “sad spectacle” News
The France international included his brothers Mathias and Florentin in his All-Stars XI, with the pair having both previously represented Guinea on the international stage.Pogba cut an animated figure on the touchline, with the game part of a series of fundraising events for the ’48 hours for Guinea campaign’. Read Also:EPL: Martial, Rashford net as Man United beat Burnley to claim fifth spot So far this season an ankle injury has restricted Pogba to just eight appearances.Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left the 26-year-old out of the squad against Burnley as a precaution but Pogba could be involved in some capacity when United face Arsenal away on Wednesday. United go into that game in fifth place in the Premier League, having won their last two games in a row. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Manchester United star Paul Pogba attended a charity game in France less than 24 hours after he missed the Red Devils’ final game of 2019. Pogba was again absent as United beat Burnley 2-0 on Saturday to end 2019 with three points. The midfielder was.. https://t.co/18EZm88eMv— Full Time (@fulltimewh) December 30, 2019 Advertisement Loading… Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba tried his luck as a manager during a charity match in France. Pogba wasn’t involved in United’s 2-0 win against Burnley on Saturday. He used his time off to coach a Pogba All-Stars team against a Guinea XI, with the game being held at Tours FC, as reported by The Mirror. Promoted ContentBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black Holes7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksTop 10 TV Friends Who Used To Be Enemies6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneThe Biggest Cities In The World So Far6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually TrueThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your Body
BACOLOD City – Suspected shabuweighing about 210 grams valued at around P2.5 million was seized in a buy-bustoperation in Barangay 1. BY CYRUS GARDE AND MAE SINGUAY Castillo, meanwhile, was detained inthe lockup cell of Police Station 2, facing charges for violation of RepublicAct 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002./PN The 28-year-old resident JesselCastillo and her live-in partner Ernesto Calatis yielded the suspected illegaldrugs around 11 p.m. on Monday, a police report showed. Calatis – a high value suspectrecently released from prison of drug charges – evaded arrest, the reportadded. Police officers conducted a manhuntoperation against Calatis. Aside from suspected shabu, a P1,000marked money was also recovered from the suspects, police said.